The Underwater Edit Clinic #1: Why Your Underwater Photo Is Still Blue After White Balance
You adjusted White Balance.
The reef looks warmer. The colors are starting to return. The photograph is clearly better.
But the water is still blue.
So what should you do?
For many underwater photographers, the instinct is immediate: keep warming the White Balance until the blue disappears.
That is exactly where a good correction can turn into a bad edit.
Welcome to The Underwater Edit Clinic, a new series built around real photographs, real editing problems, and the decisions that determine whether an adjustment actually improves the image.
In my previous series, The Consistent Underwater Edit, we worked through the editing sequence I use:
White Balance → Exposure → Presence → Color → Masking → Final Adjustments
Now we are going to apply that system to real photographs, where the answer is not always obvious.
The question is no longer simply:
Which Lightroom tool should I use?
Instead, we are going to ask:
What is actually wrong with this photograph?
Then:
Which stage of the workflow owns that problem?
That is the foundation of the Edit Clinic:
Diagnose → Decide → Move On
The Case: A Reef That Still Looks Blue
For our first Clinic photograph, I chose a wide-angle reef scene with a large barrel sponge in the foreground and open blue water behind it.
At first glance, the problem seems obvious.
The RAW file contains a tremendous amount of blue.
That is normal underwater. Water absorbs the warmer wavelengths of light as we descend, beginning with reds and oranges. The farther light travels through the water, the more strongly blue and cyan dominate the scene.
So our first step is White Balance.
But this photograph contains an important complication.
There are really two different lighting environments in the same frame.
The foreground reef and barrel sponge are being illuminated primarily by my strobes.
The open water behind them is being illuminated primarily by ambient light.
Those two areas are not receiving the same light, so we should not expect a single global White Balance adjustment to make both look neutral.
And we should not want it to.
Diagnose: What Is Actually Wrong?
Before touching any other controls, I want to identify the problem.
Yes, the photograph is blue.
But saying, "The photograph is blue," is not a diagnosis.
I need to ask:
Which part of the photograph is too blue?
That changes everything.
The blue water in the background is supposed to be blue.
The reef, sponge, and other strobe-lit subjects in the foreground should feature warmer, more believable colors.
So my first diagnostic target is not the water.
It is the foreground.
This is one of the most important habits you can develop in Lightroom:
Do not diagnose an underwater photograph only by its overall color. Look at which parts of the photograph are being affected and why.
Decide: Let White Balance Do Its Job
I begin with White Balance because it establishes the color foundation for everything that follows.
I adjust Temperature and Tint while watching the strobe-lit foreground.
Gradually, the barrel sponge, coral, and reef structure begin to regain believable color.
At some point, the foreground looks right.
And this is where I stop.
The water is still blue.
That does not mean the White Balance is wrong.
It means White Balance has done the job I asked it to do.
If I keep warming the entire photograph simply because I still see blue water, I will eventually damage the areas that are already correct.
The sponge can become too yellow or orange.
Warm coral tones can become exaggerated.
Neutral areas can take on an unnatural color cast.
I would be solving the wrong problem.
A photograph can still be blue after White Balance and have correct White Balance.
That is the central lesson of this first Edit Clinic.
Move On: Stop Asking White Balance to Fix Everything
Once the White Balance foundation is believable, I move to the next stage of the workflow.
I do not keep returning to Temperature and Tint every time something still looks wrong.
That is where the sequence becomes valuable.
Exposure and Tone
Next, I evaluate the tonal structure.
Is the foreground bright enough?
Are important shadows too dark?
Are the bright areas in the water becoming distracting?
Do the reef and the water have enough separation?
A photograph can sometimes feel excessively blue because the darker areas are allowing blue ambient light to dominate visually.
That is not necessarily a White Balance problem.
It may be an exposure or tonal problem.
So I use the Light controls to build the tonal foundation before making additional color decisions.
Presence Comes Next
Once White Balance and Exposure are working together, I evaluate Presence.
This is where Texture, Clarity, and Dehaze can help strengthen detail, separation, and definition.
Again, I am not trying to remove the blue.
I am trying to make the photograph clearer and more dimensional.
The foreground should have enough definition to hold the viewer's attention while the water continues to provide depth and environment.
This is an important distinction.
A clearer underwater photograph does not necessarily require a warmer underwater photograph.
Now We Can Refine Color
Only after the foundation is working do I begin refining individual colors.
At this stage I can ask more specific questions:
Is the water too cyan?
Is the blue too saturated?
Are the warmer reef colors becoming too intense?
Does one color attract too much attention?
Now tools such as Vibrance, the Color Mixer, or Point Color can help refine the photograph.
Notice what has happened.
We have moved from:
"The photograph is too blue."
to much more useful questions such as:
"Is this particular blue too cyan?"
or:
"Is the blue water competing with the foreground?"
That is diagnosis.
And diagnosis leads to much better decisions than simply continuing to move the Temperature slider.
When the Problem Becomes Local
Eventually, we reach another important point.
The foreground and the background may no longer need the same adjustment.
That is when Masking becomes useful.
Instead of compromising the entire photograph with a global correction, I can work selectively on the areas that actually need attention.
Perhaps the reef needs a little more presence.
Perhaps part of the water needs subtle refinement.
Perhaps the foreground needs additional separation from the background.
The important principle is:
Once the problem becomes local, stop trying to solve it globally.
That is one of the reasons sequence matters so much.
Masking becomes far easier when the global foundation is already correct.
The Finished Photograph
Here is the finished version.
Look carefully at what did not happen.
The blue water did not disappear.
Nor should it.
The foreground now contains believable warm color, stronger tonal separation, and better definition.
The water remains cool and blue because it is part of the underwater environment.
That contrast between the warm strobe-lit foreground and the cooler ambient background helps create depth.
The goal was never to eliminate blue.
The goal was to determine which blue was a problem and which blue belonged in the photograph.
The Edit Clinic Lesson
When an underwater photograph still looks blue after White Balance, do not immediately assume that White Balance needs more correction.
Ask:
What part of the photograph still looks wrong?
Then determine which stage of the workflow owns that problem.
If White Balance has established believable color, move on.
Do not keep asking one control to solve every problem you see.
That is how unnecessary adjustments begin to pile up, and it is one of the ways underwater photographs become oversaturated, unnatural, or inconsistent.
Instead:
Diagnose → Decide → Move On
That is the skill we will build throughout The Underwater Edit Clinic.
Try This With One of Your Own Photographs
Open an underwater photograph you have already edited and look specifically at its White Balance.
Then ask yourself:
Am I still adjusting White Balance because the subject looks wrong, or simply because there is still blue in the photograph?
Those are two very different problems.
Learning to recognize the difference is a major step toward faster, more consistent Lightroom editing.
If you would like a simple reference for identifying common underwater editing problems, you can also download my free 10 Lightroom Fixes for Underwater Photographers guide:
https://info.robertherb.com/lm-3
And if you would like to follow the entire Edit Clinic series, make sure you are receiving the weekly Robert Herb Photography blog:
https://info.robertherb.com/lm-2-blog
Next week, we will take another real underwater photograph into the Clinic and ask a different question:
What do you do when the reef looks flat, even though the basic exposure seems correct?
Until next time, remember:
Do not edit the symptom until you understand the cause.
Diagnose → Decide → Move On.
Bob Herb
Robert Herb Photography



Comments
Post a Comment
Please let me know your comments.